The New York City Department of Sanitation is hiring 10 new Auto Mechanics, title code 92510 — five are for the Bureau of Solid Waste Management at Bay 41st Street, South West MTS Brooklyn, and five are for the Bureau of Motor Equipment Citywide. Salary is from $277.04 – $322.40 for all positions. New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment.
1. Five years of full‐time satisfactory experience acquired within the last fifteen years as an auto mechanic; or
2. Not less than two and one‐half years of full‐time satisfactory experience as specified in ʺ1ʺ above acquired within the last ten years plus sufficient helper or apprentice experience or relevant education acquired in a trade or vocational high school or technical school approved by a Stateʹs Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization, to make up the equivalent of five years of acceptable experience. Six months of acceptable experience will be credited for each year of helper or apprentice experience or relevant education.
At the time of appointment candidates must possess a New York State Class B Commercial Driver License (ʺCDLʺ) or a Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York and a Learner’s Permit for a Class B Commercial Driver License. Appointees hired with a Learner’s Permit must obtain the Class B CDL within six months of appointment. The CDL, with no restrictions that would preclude the performance of Auto Mechanic work, must be maintained for the duration of employment.
At the time of appointment, certain agencies may require appointees to possess one or more of the following New York State Certifications:
1. As a Motor Vehicle Inspector certified in Light Vehicles, Group 1;
2. As a Motor Vehicle Inspector certified in Heavy Vehicles, Group 2;
3. As a Motor Vehicle Inspector certified in Emissions, Group D.
Must apply via www.nyc.gov/careers or city employees apply via Employee Self Services.